Computer Professionals Nigeria
The Computer Professionals Registration Council of Nigeria (CPN) was established by Decree No. 49 of 1993, promulgated on June 10, and gazetted on August 9, of that year.
The Computer Professionals Registration Council of Nigeria (CPN) is a body corporate with perpetual succession and common seal, a legal entity charged with the control and supervision of the Computing Profession in the country. In regard thereof, its duties include:
to determine what standards of knowledge and skills are to be attained by persons seeking to become members of the computing profession and improving those standards from time to time as circumstances may permit.
to secure, in accordance with the provision of the Decree, the establishment and maintenance of a register of persons seeking to be registered under the Decree to practise the computing profession, and the publication from time to time, of the list of these persons.
to perform any other functions as bestowed on it by the provisions of the decree Consequent upon the foregoing, the Council has responsibilities for the following among others.
- organisation of computing practice in the country
- control of the practice of computing in the country
- supervision of the practice of computing in the country
- screening individuals seeking to be registered as computer professionals
- screening corporate bodies seeking to be registered to engage in the sale or use of computing facilities and/or the provision of professional services in computing in the country.
- ensuring high computing professional ethics and professionalism - standards, discipline etc.
- determining academic standards in computing - computer science, computer engineering, information science, etc.
- accreditation of institutions, courses and programmes and the evaluation of certificates in computing.
- conducting professional examinations in computing by liaising with associations/bodies external to the Council.
- publicizing activities of the Council.
- publication of the register of Computer Professionals and other computing professional works - journals, books, magazines, newsletters, etc.
In line with the duty assigned to the Council through Decree 49 of 1993, Council has embarked on the programme of Accreditation of Computer Training Institutions.
- See more at: http://cpn.gov.ng/metro/index.php?ref=metro/content&show=2#sthash.5iMJP7zn.dpuf